On May 5, students of Ms Persaud’s business class at York Mills CI organized Viva York Mills! a Las Vegas-themed event to benefit the Hope in Action Emergency Fund. Over 500 tickets were sold and the evening showcased some tremendous local student and staff talent. In addition to ticket sales, donations were solicited from local businesses and students held raffles, sold novelty photos, caricatures, as well as food and beverages. A semester’s worth of hard work and planning were rewarded with $5,000 in proceeds. Combined with a matching grant from Johnson Insurance Inc., the event produced $10,000 for the Emergency Fund.
- Food bank usage across Canada hit all time high, nearly 1.5M visits in March: report | Global News
- Food keeps getting more expensive even as overall inflation slows | CBC News
- Groceries are too expensive — here’s who’s paying the price | Toronto Star
- One in six households in Ontario is now struggling with food insecurity. Here’s why it’s going to get worse | Toronto Star
- Toronto student nutrition programs face ‘critical year’ due to rising food prices | CBC News